29 March 2020
Category Maryland
29 March 2020,

The purpose of this post is to answer the age old question…how long does expungement take in Maryland from beginning to end? The short answer is that in most Counties it takes approximately 90 days. In Baltimore City it can take up to 8 months. It could be more or less depending on the Clerk’s office.

Why Does The Expungement Process Take So Long In Maryland?

After filing a petition for expungement the State Attorney’s office has a 30 day period where they can review your petition and file an objection to it. An expungement attorney can assist you by reviewing your record to see if there is anything that the State will likely object to.

What Happens If The State’s Attorneys Office or Police Object to My Expungement?

If the State’s attorney’s office or police file an objection to your petition for expungement, then the Court will set a hearing to hear both sides. The State will argue that its in the best interest of Maryland for your record to remain public and you’ll have to present evidence that it’s not, and that you’ll be a good Citizen that can help the community if your record is cleared. An expungement attorney can help you make your arguments.

How Long After My Expungement Is Granted Will My Records Be Removed?

The Courts and Police divisions must remove your records within 60 days after receiving the order for sealing records.

How Will I Know My Record Has Been Sealed In Maryland?

The Clerk of the Court will mail you and your attorney an order sealing yours and your tenant’s records.

If I Hire An Attorney, Will The Answer To How Long Does an Expungement Take in Maryland Change?

Unfortunately not, an expungement attorney cannot change the answer to the question how long does an expungement take in Maryland above. However an attorney can assist you by:

  • Correctly preparing your petition.
  • Anticipating objections

Many people who file without attorneys file incorrectly which ends up making the expungement process in Maryland take longer than it should. Consider contacting an attorney if you want your case filed right the first time. Feel free to reach out to us for a free assessment of your case.

Free Assessment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *